A 5 week, (2.5 hours per week) dressmaking course with small class sizes, these courses are tailored to your learning requirements.
You choose your project and together we will work towards creating something wonderful.
Each session will cover different aspects of making clothes (depending on your project) and regardless of your starting point, your confidence and skills will have grown by the end of the course.
- Sunday 18th Jun 2023 – 2pm
- Sunday 17th Sept 2023 – 2pm
- Monday 12th Jun 2023 – 10am
- Monday 18th Sept 2023 – 10am
- Sunday 18th Jun 2023 – 5pm
- Sunday 17th Sept 2023 – 5pm
- Monday 12th June 2023 – 6pm
- Monday 18th Sept 2023 – 6pm
5 Day Course Dates:
- Summer Mornings – 5 Day Course – Mon 31st July – Fri 4th August 2023 – 10am-12.30 – only one space left
- Summer Afternoons – 5 Day Course – Mon 31st July – Fri 4th August 2023 – 1.30-4pm
For your first lesson, you will need to have a pattern for whatever you are planning to make, you will also need the fabric to make it, but you might not need that in the first session.
If you have any questions with regard to the pattern and fabric, please get in touch.
I do have a small selection of patterns from independent pattern designers such as Tilly & the Buttons and Made my Wardrobe available for you to purchase. Please ask if you would like further details.
To ensure that you are getting the maximum learning experience from Sewing School, I need you to tell me what you would like to learn, please choose from this list or add your own learning areas to be covered within the course.
- Measure yourself correctly
- Select the right size for you
- Read and understand the pattern
- Pick the right fabric for your project
- Sewing machine basics
- Sew and finish different types of seams
- Cut your paper pattern
- Arrange your pattern to cut your fabric correctly
- Pin and cut out your fabric
- Stripe, check or pattern matching
- Transfer pattern markings to your fabric
- Pattern adjustments
- Full or small bust adjustment
- Garment construction
- Understand the importance of interfacing, stay stitching, pressing and understitching
- Make minor adjustments to the fit
- Making a toile and making pattern alterations
- Zip techniques & samples
- Hemming techniques & samples
- Hem your garment
- Finishing off
- Hand finishing
- Sewing buttonholes
- Jersey skills
- Overlocker basics
Please bring your own sewing machine and tools to use. You can borrow a Janome 725s Sewing machine and other tools if you cannot bring your own. Please let me know in advance if you will need to.
You will need to bring your pattern and fabric and other bits to make your garment.
However if you are unsure about the type or amount of fabric you need to buy, please ask.
We will squeeze a lot into these 12.5 hours, but what you get out of it is up to you. There is no homework required, but should you wish to do more during the week, I will be available to support you, via email or text, throughout the course.